Saturday, July 10, 2010

Canon Restaurant Review: Belle's Cooking

On Friday night, My companions and Canon Review readers Dickson S. and Maggie W. went to a restaurant out in the hip town of Royston, GA called Belle's Cooking. Belles' Cooking is in the left corner of a shopping center and can be rather hard to spot if you're not looking for it. Dickson swears by the place and Maggie and I had ate there before, so after a short discussion, we ended up eating there.

When you walk into Belle's Cooking for the first time, you might expect it to be your typical country cooking restaurant. From the name itself, to the red and white plaid tableclothes on every table, to all of the nic-nacs and old sings on the walls of the restaurant, you would probably expect to get a meal of country fried steak or fried chicken or something of the sort. Instead, Belle's Cooking is actually a Japanese restaurant, even though it has very little visual indications that it serves primarily Japanese food. Personally, I question the proprietor's reasoning for their choice of decor, but I do find it comfortable and all the stuff on the wall provides something to look at while you wait for your food, so actually I don't mind it at all.

Anyway, we get there and find a place to sit. The place wasn't that crowded, as there was only a table of four there when we arrived. Actually, the restaurant is so small that I think it would have trouble seating more than 30 people at one time. Anywho, we were able to order rather quickly, but not too quickly, if that makes any sense. Although Belle's doesn't have the largest menu around, I still had trouble choosing between a couple of dishes before I decided on the Teriyaki fried rice with shrimp. Dickson went with the Salmon Teriyaki dish, while Maggie W. went with the shrimp yakisoba. The food took about 10 to 15 minutes to cook it seemed, which wasn't too bad of a wait.

So we get our food. I've got to say that even though I'm not the biggest fried rice fan, the fried rice at Belle's Cooking is just great. It's so flavorful and cooked to perfection, plus the teriyaki sauce gives it a nice kick of flavor. It really is some good rice, let me tell you. Even if you combined the rice with brocoli, which is one vegetable I just cannot stand, it actually was pretty decent. The shrimp was decent, but I don't know if it was just me, but it seemed a bit stringy and undercooked, to be honest. However, Maggie also had shrimp and she had no complaints whatsoever about it. But if I'm calling it like I see it, I'd say the shrimp was only the second best part of the meal.

After our meal, Maggie decided to try some Green Tea ice cream. I ended up eating a few bites of the ice cream myself, and I felt it was pretty good. It wasn't the sweetest ice cream around, but I definitely wouldn't mind trying it again and would have no reservations about eating another bowl of it if somebody presented one for me to eat.

Overall, Belle's Cooking is an interesting place. A Japanese restaurant in a region that lacks both good Japanese food and, well, good restaurants in general (Seriously, there is not much to choose from in Royston, especially since I refuse to eat at a few of the town's dining facilities). But not only does it provide something different from the usual fast-food fare found in Royston, it also produces very good food. I'll give it a 7.1 out of 10. Well, thanks for reading, and if you have any ideas for future posts, or thoughts about this post, than leave a comment on the blog or send me an e-mail at KtheC2001@gmail.com. But before I go, here's a video about LeBron James for no good reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment